Thursday, October 20, 2005

School Board Elections:

I have been trying to keep the focus of this blog on the Grand Terrace City, and City Council. However, it must be noted and considered that there are School Board Elections which effect the city.

I am not pleased with the information available to the voters. Many people running for the school board have refused to reply to questions from the blog. None of the public statements from the individuals would allow a voter to discern a difference between any one of them. So how should we vote? What should we look for in a School Board Member?

I look for a School Board Member who will insist on the most transparent and open School Board Possible. I seek a School Board Member who will use the words "May hold closed meetings" as a reason to hold an open meeting, rather than an instant justification to hide behind closed doors.

I look for a School Board Member who provides alternative innovative suggestions. Wanting to build more schools or finish projects which are already planned and under progress is a given. How about having small specialty schools for various technologies fill in the kmart building, or the charter school near the Kaiser Clinic in Cooley Ranch? Mini Schools with specialty programs or spin offs. Colton High School was a great campus before the invention of Portables, and over crowding. It has become more of a day prison for youth than an attractive campus for learning.

I look for a School Board Member who has associations with people and organizations I hold respect for. Yes that means if you are backed by City Council Members who thrive on Closed Meetings and Limiting the public time to speak, you are not going to get my vote.

I look for a School Board Member who is not the best financed, or having a long line of old political cronies backing them. I look for a person who has ideas, ethics, and a desire to serve the community without it being an ego trip. I look for a person who has close ties and a significant time in actual residency in the school district for my School Board Member.

People Running for School Board are welcome to respond to this post, as are the readers. What do you look for when picking a School Board Member?