Wednesday, December 12, 2007

Your INPUT is Requested: Let Kent Know.....

12/12/2007
Grandpa,

I would like to know how other parents feel about the one track system the school board voted for. Kent Taylor, School Board member who lives in Grand Terrace would also like to know so he can take our concerns to the meeting.

Below is the communications I have had with him. Feel free to forward to those concerned: PTA, Instructors, etc

From: Kent Taylor
[mailto: taylor873@sbcglobal.net ]
Sent: Wednesday, December 12, 2007 9:04
Subject: Re: One-track system

Hello,

As the only school board member who lives in Grand Terrace, I agree with you. I knew the situation would be complex for parents. I urged the Board to postponed their decision or consider a phase in plan with Grand Terrace area in 2009-2010 school year, which would allow parents time to make adjustments and arrangements for their children.

Last Thursday, the Board voted for the change and I voted no. I will continue to advocate for what is best for our students. Thanks for communicating with me and hopefully you can persuade other board members to understand your perspective. I will bring up your proposal at our next meeting.

Do other parents feel the same, if so I would like to hear from them.

Again Thanks
Kent Taylor

One Parent Emailed:

Dear Members of Colton School Board,

While it is a difficult season to be attending meetings, I would like to express my deep concern for some changes in the planning of our District.

First of all, let me say I love the idea of a one-track system. However July, November and March are not the best choice.
As a parent my child’s education and safety come first. As a working parent, worthwhile programs are not available during those times. Now that my son is 12, programs are nil.

I feel that more businesses would spring up in Grand Terrace for after school and off-track if our students were on a traditional schedule. In fact, my son was in a wonderful program in Loma Linda during the summer, but the proprietor couldn’t get enough people to sustain his business during the other off-track periods.

Grand Terrace is filled with interested parents, who have to work. So many kids have to stay home alone. I have approached our City Council to bring back our Recreation Department and expand it to include after school programs. They are not interested. It is up to the parents to take care of their own children they said.

Let’s face it. The children are our future. If we don’t take care of them, there won’t be anything for us. Increasing police and security is not the answer. Education, sports, creativity – keeping their minds and friendships growing will keep them out of trouble and ensure that more children stay in school.