Saturday, May 09, 2009

From the Email Inbox...

Gramps,

If these allegations are substantiated I'll be sitting right next to you on the "fire them all" train. Don't you agree though, just a little bit, that when these types of accusations are made against anybody, they carry less weight when there is no name attached to them? The Sentinel publishes articles with no byline or author attached. Doesn't that raise your suspicion at all?

I know you want this government gone, but let's be fair here. Anybody can write anything about anybody at any time with absolutely no fear of consequence or libel charge just by remaining "anonymous."

You're repeating these charges as though they are facts. I can pick a name from the phone book at random and send an anonymous letter to you or to the sentinal claiming anything I want to claim. "Sources tell me that John Johnson has a long history of abusing children and beating his wife. He's not fit to be a councilman." Absolutely no basis in fact or proof...I just said it, with no name attached.

Can you see how damaging that can be to fair and balanced journalism; even a little bit. Any reputable news organization requires...REQUIRES that a name be attached to any accusation or negative charge so that the accused can answer the charge and the readers can assess any possible agenda of his accuser when forming an opinion. I don't know that you carry that burden as a blogger but the Sentinal certainly does. There is no fear of retaliation, legal or otherwise, if what is claimed is true...if its not true, it shouldn't be written in a newspaper. If unsubstantiated, it shouldn't be written until it is.

I AM NOT defending Steve Berry here. I just need more than an anonymous accusation to throw anybody under the bus. I think if it was you being accused or possibly libeled/slandered, that you would expect the same. Give me a name...who wrote this and what are his sources. If it pans out, then we can "fire them all."

Thank you for entertaining an opposing point of view and posting this e-mail. Brian