Friday, February 10, 2006

Jo You are Not Forgotten:

http://www.sbsun.com/search/ci_3492899
Article Display Date: 02/10/2006 12:00:00 AM

Forced out unfairly
I missed an opportunity Jan. 26 to speak out against eminent domain at the Grand Terrace City Council meeting.

The council voted that night to accept two appraisals given to the city on the last remaining parcels developer Jacobson Family Holding LLC wants for its project.

As I understand it, this is the first step in allowing the city to be able to declare eminent domain on these properties, since the owners won't conform to selling them to Jacobson.

Some things just aren't for sale. What part of no don't they understand? Why should you be forced to sell your property for another's gain?

There has been a number of stories in the media about one of the property owners, Jo Stringfield, that have made her look like the bad guy. I've known Stringfield since 1960 she grew up in Grand Terrace, just like I did. She's a very nice lady. Perhaps, the council and others should try to get to know her before they force her out of her hometown.

When I plan to sell my home, I can get as many appraisals as I want, take the best offer and sell for the highest amount. Stringfield doesn't seem to have that luxury.

She can only take the appraisal offered from the company appointed by the city and the price they offer. Does this sound fair? All of this in the name of a new library and big-box business.

Since she's being forced out, she should have a choice. I can't imagine being forced from my home or business, can you? This isn't for the public good, it's for personal gain.

Everyone in the city should be concerned about this project. Who's next?

KIM HATHAWAY
Grand Terrace