Wednesday, January 03, 2007

Fire in a Residential Complex:

When we see the damage to The Crest Apartment: We should gain a respect for fire. I don't go for Fear, but I do think we need to Respect Fire, and what it can do and have a Plan of action.

I have to say this was and is my first concern when the Blue Mt. Senior Villa Designs were provided to the public. HOW will you evacuate a multi story building full of seniors in the event of a fire. DOWN STAIRS?

I am sorry I don't think so. Remember this is an apartment building type of management, there will not be a whole bunch of Nurses Aids or helpers to evacuate the building. Sure folks will help one another, but for goodness sake. Put Ramps into the design for the escape from all floors. People who walk on flat surfaces may not be able to go down a stair case.

Yes there are a host of other concerns but Safety should be FIRST in a Design. This is true for all buildings...

SAFETY SAFETY SAFETY... Being Safe is an ACTION.