Wednesday, July 05, 2006

From the Email InBox: An Unexpected Gramps Reply

Dear Gramps:

You know how JoAnn Johnson told all the seniors that they would be put on a priority list for the Blue Mt. Villas. They may be put on a list, more like a suckers list. I wondered, but not for long why Mary Silverstein changed the rating from low to moderate income to low to low low income. I went on their web site and and called all their locations. I asked if they accept H.U.D., in fact one location in Cudahy the woman in very poor English said ""no H.U.D only section 8. I told her that is H.U.D. "Oh Yeah, voucher". All their locations are section 8. How are the Seniors going to qualify unless they give everything to The Foundation of Grand Terrace.


Grampa's Reply:

I share your concerns, but has no answers to these problems. Apparently only 10 of the units will be rented at Market rate and the Rest will be for VERY LOW INCOME or Section 8 housing. Which 10 of JoAnn Johnson's Friends will be provided for and who will not. These issues of concern are because the project, funds, loans, and agreements were rushed and approved without requiring a full disclosure of the Terms and Conditions and Finances of the Project. It was given the Tom Schwab stamp of approval which then is good enough for Planning Department, Planning Commission, and of course the majority of the City Council.

I share your concerns, I am ashamed that I do not have the answers to give the other seniors. Perhaps the Judge will see this case as needing to go back to open competitive bid, a total do over.


We are where we are because the Council Members did not hear the speakers at the podium asking for full planning, disclosure, and revision of the project. Does this make me happy. No not at all. It makes me question all City Council Decisions, Motives, and Actions.

Gramps.