Thursday, July 09, 2009

More in the News:

Voice of the People: July 9, 2009

Berry Addresses Margie Miller Publisher of the GT City News and her Reply

Dear Margie Miller Editor:

I was surprised and disappointed to pick up the July 2 2009 copy of your newspaper and find that you had printed a front-page story about me without even bothering to call me to get a comment. Is this your idea of fair and objective journalism, running a hit piece filled with allegations from two other newspapers with no effort to get a response from the person whom you are writing about?

For the record, these allegations were dealt with seven years ago in conversations between myself and my supervisor, then - City Manager Tom Schwab. We resolved them and moved forward.

I am proud of my service to the citizens of Grand Terrace, first as Assistant City Manager and, for the past year, as Acting City Manager during a very difficult time in the City's history. We have weathered the current economic downturn as well or better than any other city in San Bernardino County, with a balanced budget and maintenance of essential city services. I look forward to working with the Mayor and City Council to continue the progress we have enjoyed in Grand Terrace.

If in the future, you are working on a news story that concerns me, I would appreciate a phone call.

Sincerely,

Steve Berry.

(((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((0))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))

Steve,

As you are aware I am currently on vacation however when you sent an email to the Grand Terrace Newspaper at 5:56 Tuesday night my staff did not receive it until Wednesday morning they contacted me immediately. Since you sent it in a PDF format, I believe your desire is to have it published. I have left you 2 messages and I am holding space in the paper for your letter and my answer. ( received confirmation to print)

After receiving your email I too am surprised. I made 3 trips to City Hall attempting to meet with you. You know my absolute deadline is Wednesday. I did try to get in contact with you on Tuesday. You left at 11:00 am and did not return all day. Then again on Wednesday you left early. I was told by staff you would not be returning because you had an important meeting.

When I previously inquired about this issue you told me it was not newsworthy and old information. I have been accused of protecting you and covering up your indiscretions. Now you accuse me of a hit piece. Are you taking exception to any of the fact I reported? If you feel there are factual inaccuracies the City News is a forum you can use. Please bring any documentation and information you would like to clarify.

Two other news papers found this issue involving you 7 years ago newsworthy. The fact you are being considered for the highest paid position in Grand Terrace and the responsibility that goes with that position is clearly the reason for the interest. The Sheriff's report alleges that you falsified public documents. Falsifying documents (any documents) especially in that high of a position does not facilitate trustworthiness. As the publisher of the local newspaper I could not ignore your involvement; however I am more than willing to give you the opportunity to express your views.

Sincerely,

Margie Miller Publisher.





((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((0)))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))

An Embarrassment for the Citizens of the City of Grand Terrace

Sirs:

The Schwab Berry scandal is indeed an embarrassment for the Citizens of Grand Terrace. Unfortunately, it's an embarrassment for the City Council as well although they apparently fail to recognize their abject failure in this entire sordid episode. Rather than point finger at the reporter and castigate him for printing lies, or ignoring the problem because it had not appeared in the Sun Newspaper, responsible policy makers would have taken the time to look into the matter themselves before concluding there was nothing there. Did they interrogate Schwab, and if so did he tell the truth. If he lied, why are we paying him $177.000 to disappear? Did they request the police department to provide them copies of the official reports, including the conclusions of the District attorney so they could independently judge the FACTS for themselves. The answer is apparently NO! They simply accepted the self-serving denial from Berry and the matter laid dormant until the Sentinel broke the story. Even this newspaper, City News accepted Berry's assertion there was no news there. Obviously everyone was wrong! I for one am looking forward to the next election cycle. I think a lot of council folks owe the citizens of GT some forthright answers.

Submitted by:
Michael Billings

((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((0))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))

With Power Comes Deceit and Dishonesty.

Every day we read, hear on the radio or see on TV politicians who cheat, steal and cover up someone else's problems. With power comes deceit and dishonesty. It is something that politicians do best. When the problems come up and co-workers are asked questions, they always claim that they didn't know or they were out of town at the time.

When they are sought out for information they are always unavailable. This is something that will continue as long as politicians hold their positions in government for extended periods. The temptation for graft is almost inevitable. The only way to solve the problem is to set TERM LIMITS on all elected positions.

Submitted by

Jack Fonseca