Saturday, April 22, 2006

From the Email Inbox: Don't Do as I Say or Do

Paah,

I recently received a copy of the G.T. City News, which had on front page the two proposals for the downtown center shopping place. I certainly hope that the two proposals get run through the City Planning Commission, for I find fault in both.

I am a sort of Streets and Roads person. Both of the views appear a bit blurred, but can pick up features none the less. What I see on the surrounding roads bothers me, for if you or I were a private developer we would not be able to get away with what is shown within these two pictures. If I view the two proposals correctly, they are illustrative of the phrase "Do as I say, don't do as I Do"

The illustration at top of page one, shows that Michigan will remain a one lane/two lane as it presently is. If one were to go over to the city counter, they have what is termed a Circulation Element. These formerly were referred to as Master Plan of Streets. I do believe that Michigan is scheduled to be a four lane road, plus parking strips. Often referred to as a Secondary by the City and County of S.B. Consider that the O.A.C. called for the widening of Michigan to secondary status, I now see a conflict of offerings between the two plans. If you will remember, the school district wanted to narrow up the full length to two lanes of Michigan from Barton to Main. In illustration two near bottom of page, you will notice that Michigan has been revised to four lanes, but without curb side parking. I certainly doubt that either of the plans have been run through the City Traffic Engineer. It seems a bit odd in that a development with is expected to attract a greater amount of traffic has the narrower streets being proposed.

What also bothers me is that LaPax is shown in both illustrations to be forever a half width street. Last year a similar situation was taken before the city Planning Commission, and there it was stated that any planned developments when butting up against a half width street, need then to improve and widen to full width. I would think that the Fire Department ought to be interested in the city staff perpetuating 1/2 width streets. Then too the west end of either becomes a one-way street, with entrance only on to private
property. And notice the rear exit from the Center onto Pascal Ave. Iff'n the Stringfield property were to be developed commercially in ten years, you can bet your dollar that they would be asking for street R/W dedication on the north side of LaPax. Can't ask the
city to do that though.

On both, the entrance off Canal street looks to be a little narrow. Iff'n an auto or truck had an under hood fire right after rolling off Barton, then the fire Department showed up, this then completely plugs up the access.

On the Lowe's proposal, I do not see enough parking spaces.

And say, in looking at Plan B, consider that the supermarket wants to install a pharmacy. From what I see this then means a new one at the east end of the center, one inside the supermarket, and one on Barton being under construction at present time.

And the statement that the city would loose a library is false, for as proposed, the property for the library expansion could be obtained without any development.

"Do as I say, don't do as I Do"